Wednesday, September 7, 2005

Is infidelity inevitable?

I'm curently reading a book called A Certain Chemistry by Mil Millington. I'm only 3/4 of the way through, but i cannot help but write about what I've partly read.

So the premise is that there's this guy named Tom Cartwright who's a ghostwriter (meaning he writes and other people take credit). He gets a job to ghost-write an autobiography for a famous TV soap actress called Georgina Nye. So, him and Georgina meet up for stuff for the book and after a few meetings, they realize they have this certain chemistry, both asexual and sexual, and then one thing led to another and so they had an affair. Problem is, Tom has a live-in girlfriend by the name of Sara. And Tom loves Georgina and Sara both. Or so he claims.

I wouldn't have been surprised to read on to the next few pages seeing Tom deliriously happy because he has both 'comforting' Sara and 'gorgeous' George to, excuse the word but it is appropriate, fvck. But then come these lines from Tom the man himself.

"What you have to remember is that I was the victim here. .. I was suffering horribly. ... As for Sara, well, yes, I was being unfaithful to her. But she didn't know that. I was the one who had to endure life under the weight of that knowledge: I was the one who felt guilty. .. Here I am suffering silently to maintain the happiness of others, and all you can do is despise me for ensuring that my girlfriend has wave after face-crushing wave of orgasms: you ought to be bloody ashamed of yourself." -Tom Cartwright

My, what an interesting justification. He feels he's the victim. By golly. It gets even more interesting. Finally Sara and George meet up at yet another post-booklaunch-party and a certain Fiona (Tom's colleague who knows about the Tom/George affair) keeps trying to make Tom uncomfortable in front of Sara. Sara then lashes at Fiona and says "Fiona, you appear to be hinting that Tom is fvcking Georgina Nye." (pause, pause, Tom's eyes wide and very much horrified) "I'm sorry if it spoils your surprise, but I'm already perfectly well aware of that fact - that's very old news." Gasp. Right when Tom thinks he's actually pulled it off. I have yet to find out what happens next.

The tagline of the book reads: Is infidelity inevitable? The question remains unanswered.

No comments: